The Assistant CAD Designer is responsible for all aspects of CAD Design including development of prints, color combinations, stripes, graphics and plaids for each season. Responsible for a specific classification or area. This position will support the CAD Designer in developing and executing a strategic vision, with a progressive, customer centric-approach all while delivering on sales and profit objectives. This role requires the ability to leverage technical expertise to identify opportunities and develop an assortment. Fundamental requirements include the ability to collaborate, take ownership of your business, and achieve results. Perform other duties as assigned.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
The Assistant CAD Designer will be known as a trusted, collaborative and results-oriented business partner who possesses professional maturity and ability to build strong partnerships. The ideal candidate needs to be comfortable and effective leading through significant complexity. Candidates must be comfortable with quickly evaluating and sun-setting legacy approaches that no longer align to the strategy. The ideal candidate will be known for both vision and an equally strong orientation for speed.
The successful candidate will:
- Make “company first” decisions
- Ability to influence partners
- Actively influence market to drive business
- Develop self by participating in ongoing professional development and training Take responsibility for own development plan and curriculum
- Develop innovative solutions to existing customer or Company challenges
- Openly accepts and seeks constructive direction for development from supervisor and leadership
- Self-motivated and demonstrates initiatives
- Relishes in a fast paced environment and is effective under pressure
- Leverage collaborative partnerships with counterparts to drive business strategies
In Season Forecasting
- Assist CAD Designer on decisions made on in-season print/pattern changes to make for the department and vendors based on sales, margin and turn forecast in partnership with Product Development and Buying Team
- Support team in strategic meetings with recommended print/pattern assortments (Key Resources, Design, Team Management)
- Assist in modifying the print/pattern assortment based on Product Development Team and customer input
- Assist in identifying the key print/patterns that comprise each classification
- Adhere to the seasonal time and action calendar for area of responsibility
Assortment Vision, Strategy & Selection
- Assist CAD Designer with the design and development of colors, prints, and fabric simulations
- Assist in creating flat sketches computer systems
- Re-color and design prints, plaids and stripes
- Scan and clean up prints to assist vendors on executing to proper number of screens
- Assist with creating proper repeats of patterns
- Prepare mini-boards/set-up for presentations and market
- Assist in designing graphics for prints, logos, etc.
- Assist with designs “companion” prints
Overseas/Domestic Vendors, Marketing, Product Integrity, & Technical Design
- Maintain an industry presence that allows for connections, new business opportunities and ideas at Macy’s. Represent and support the Macy’s brand while maintaining this presence and building relationships.
- Communicate extensively with design and product teams.
- Collaborate with Vendor Community(Overseas/Domestic).
- Communicate regularly with design & product management teams to gather input and share print/pattern development direction.
- Communicate on a daily basis with overseas offices to share print/pattern development information.
- Assist CAD Designer in selecting and approve patterns, scale, and colors.
- Use CAD programs for style, color and pattern development.
- Understands competitive marketplace and pursues white space opportunities that align with North Star Strategy.
- Competitive shop and determine action necessary to address competitive challenges.
- Identify any print opportunities and provide suggestions.
- Regular, dependable attendance & punctuality.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design or Fine Arts.
- Experience in retail or CAD Design Internships.
- Proficiency in CAD software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to influence.
- Basic math functions such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and analytical skills.
- Self-starter, can work independently with minimal supervision
- This position involves regular walking, standing, sitting for extended periods of time, hearing, and talking.
- May occasionally involve stooping, kneeling, or crouching.
- May involve close vision, color vision, depth perception, focus adjustment, and viewing computer monitor for extended periods of time.
- Involves manual dexterity for using keyboard, mouse, and other office equipment.
- May involve moving or lifting items under 10 pounds.
- Strong color sense / print sense
- Ability to view and differentiate the color spectrum
- Proficiency in PC operation, MS office and Excel
- Strong sense of urgency - ability to do large quantity of work within short time frames prior to market dates
- Developing and coaching Interns and Executive Trainees
- Inspires, motivates, and influences the behavior of others to drive high performance
- Engages team to examine current practices and encourages creative thinking about how things could be more effective and efficient.
- Asserts own ideas and persuades others in a clear, confident, and composed manner. Tailors message for the audience and is able to gain support and commitment from others.
- Comfortable with taking risks and celebrating risk taking regardless of outcome
- Collaborative, consultative style with a strong ability to establish trust and build relationships across all levels and functions of the organization.
- Resilient, tenacious, high energy. Able to rapidly bounce back from adversity.
- Embraces change with realistic optimism and persists through challenges and setbacks caused by change.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on department and company needs.
This job description is not all inclusive. Macy’s Inc. reserves the right to amend this job description at any time. Macy's Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse and inclusive work environment.