The Company seeks a dynamic and entrepreneurial Chief Technology Officer to join a foundation that has built a reputation as a trailblazer that convenes unlikely partnerships and sparks innovations.
Reporting to the COO, the CTO leads the Foundation 's global technology and cybersecurity strategy and plays a critical leadership role in developing, planning, and implementing the IT and data management strategy. The CTO partners with the Foundation 's senior leadership team, and internal and external stakeholders to develop and implement a strategy that meets the Foundation 's vision and goals. The CTO will lead technology strategy that advances pandemic planning and global power sector transformation. The CTO will manage a team that focuses on maintaining well designed information architectures, systems and cybersecurity.
Based in New York and reporting to the COO, the Chief Technology Officer (CTO) will be the head of all technology and play a critical leadership role in developing, planning, and implementing the IT strategy for Company. As a key member of the senior leadership team, they will be a partner and advisor to the COO, the CEO, and the broader organization. Some travel may be expected, when it is safe to travel.
The CTO will be the head of technology for the organization and will manage end-to-end technology landscape that includes:
- Infrastructure including networks, storage, cloud environment etc.
- All core business applications and support function applications
- Data warehouse and knowledge management
- External vendor relationships that provide technology support to the Foundation
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Shape the vision, strategy and budget for The Company global technology needs and develop and implement an overall IT strategy for today and into the future.
- Creatively think about technology as an enabler for workflows, for convenings, for network engagement.
- Provide vision and strategy for all data management activities, overseeing enterprise information management.
- Overall responsibility for Technology budget forecasting and management.
- Work with the senior leadership team to help shape the organization 's technical vision and lead all aspects of the technological development.
Deliver Tangible Outcomes
- Lead the development, execution and testing of the enterprise-wide IT risk functions around cybersecurity and disaster recovery/business continuity.
- Provide stewardship for all data governance and quality, state-of-the-art cybersecurity practices, and lead a team to develop and maintain state- of -the -art integrated systems and information architectures to support the Foundation 's mission and vision.
- Provide systems, applications and platforms that create efficient internal collaboration and communication.
- Apply a technology lens to grant-making, accessing data, helping create the shared data and tools to probe and interrogate data, and ideally frame the important questions that tech and data are meant to answer.
- Support COO on board related matters and presentations.
- Assess the technologies available off-the-shelf in the market and evaluate their applicability to the Foundation 's requirements.
- Establish enterprise-wide change-management policies, standards, procedures and guidelines.
- Oversee ongoing improvements and the feasibility of large strategic system enhancements and their infrastructure requirements.
- Partner with the COO and business leaders to ensure that the technology strategy is fully integrated into the business strategy.
- Lead vendor relationship and management for hardware, software and communications vendors.
- Develop Enterprise-wide architecture plans.
- Establish, implement and monitoring short and long-range goals, policies and operating procedures.
- Communicate key metrics and issues to other stakeholders.
- Inspire and develop an inclusive, talented team of IT staff. Provide coaching and mentorship and advise on individual career development paths.
- Inspire a team culture that embodies the Foundation 's values and develop a vibrant, proactive and customer-oriented IT team.
- Ensure the team works to implement the IT strategy according to all policies, guidelines and budget.
- Cascade relevant information to teams.
- Ensure professional and career development of team.
- Create pride in team 's day-to-day work and contributions to the Foundation 's goals.
Communications and Relationship Management
- Expand the Foundation 's network of influential validators, decision-makers, and institutional leaders while building the Foundation reputation.
- Build trust-based relationships that leverage resources towards the Foundation 's goals.
- Regularly interact with multiple external partners and leaders.
Education, Experience and Skills
- A minimum of 15 years ' experience as a CTO, or similar role, for a global foundation or related industry.
- Deep knowledge of energy and health fields, international work experience preferred.
- Bachelor 's degree in Computer Science, engineering a plus, related master 's degree a plus.
- Professional record of accomplishment that reflects significant strategic partnership with and contribution to the business, including demonstrated leadership in large, complex, multi-divisional global settings.
- IT management experience inclusive of strategy and operations, across applications and infrastructure.
- The leader will have experience in both internal as well as external facing technologies.
Qualifications and Competencies
- Excellent interpersonal abilities including strong listening, writing and verbal skills.
- Demonstrates assertiveness and effectiveness in presenting their ideas to a variety of internal and external audiences and for multiple and diverse purposes.
- Proven strong communication skills, ability to act as an Ambassador of the IT team at internal and external stakeholder meetings.
- Has the ability to evaluate risks and opportunities.
- Uses analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Takes initiative and drives for results.
- Is able to prioritize their own work and the work of others. Understands how their work impacts other departments as well as the overall mission, strategy and objectives of the Foundation.
- Has Outstanding project management skills.
- Manages their own time well and provides the necessary guidance and direction to others that allows them to successfully meet deadlines.
- Driven to create strong partnerships and relationships to advance technology solutions.
- Has a sense of urgency and takes responsibility for their work and how this impacts the rest of the IT Team and any of the key groups they interface with.
- Is able to multi-task and works well under pressure.
- Employs attention to detail with their work and has high standards for accomplishing their work.
- Results driven, problem solver.
- Proven experience managing risk, anticipating and adapting to change.
- Track record that reflects a deep commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion and committed to helping to create a culture of shared values.
- Thinks innovatively and creatively about their work and the work of the entire IT team.
- Has strong negotiation skills which enable them to work effectively and efficiently across a large amount of work, people and all internal and external constituencies and demonstrates accountability for their work.
Partnership and Relationship Building
Possesses strong professional presence and is seen as a key representative of the Foundation and the IT team.
Has intercultural knowledge and appreciation.
Possesses strong strategic partnership building skills.
- Has the skills to manage a team of IT staff and approaches managing people as one that employs teambuilding, skill building and overall staff development and engagement.
- Proven experience managing, communicating, inspiring and leading teams through change.
- Has outstanding skills in both developing, leading and executing complex project plans.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
- You are committed to the mission of the Foundation, to inclusion, equity and diversity in every aspect of your work, and to challenging conventional wisdom through evidence, reason, and amplifying dissenting, unconventional, and marginalized voices.