Clinical Laboratory Scientist (Medical Technologist)
Summary: The Clinical Laboratory Scientist performs laboratory procedures and evaluates the accuracy and validity of patient test results. This position performs, monitors and evaluates quality control for all tests. Participates in quality management studies and performance improvement projects.
- Familiarity with multiplex immunoassay platforms is highly preferred.
- Experience performing molecular assays is highly preferred.
- Experience working in a CLIA regulated environment
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Works with Laboratory Manager and/or Technical Supervisor to ensure efficient daily workflow. Performs testing in a timely manner and efficiently handles workload and workflow. Sets priorities, organizes, runs work appropriately and utilizes effective decision-making skills. Works efficiently as a professional, handles difficult situations with specimens, identifies and troubleshoots problems, seeks and considers alternative solutions and requests assistance when appropriate
- Performs clinical patient testing in all three phases: pre-analytic, analytic and post-analytic. Stays current with and follows lab procedures, continually evaluates specimen integrity, patient/specimen identification, instrument function and practices good lab technique at every stage. Requests clarification and assistance as needed.
- Maintains quality results by running standards and controls, monitoring quality control measures and protocols. Recognizes unusual patient results and identifies problems in analytical procedures/systems; responds with appropriate investigation and/or corrective action activities
- Maintains laboratory equipment through preventative maintenance and trouble-shoots assays and instruments according to established protocols. Performs functional checks and/or calibrations on instrumentation
- Maintains competency in computer skills. Accurately orders and cancels tests, verifies results and adds comments to patient record per procedure. Organizes and maintains reagents and supplies. Responsible for secure and accurate sample inventory
- Participates in Quality Control (QC) and Quality Management (QM) Performance Improvement (PI) activities to ensure accurate and timely reporting of results. Monitors and evaluates QC for all test results according to established protocols, provides documentation as required, participates in QM studies and contributes to improvement of operations and processes.
- Provides organized, legible documentation, communicates effectively with coworkers to assure uninterrupted resulting of tests and provides quality customer service and patient care. Contributes to a functional and positive staff culture
- Supports activities for inspection-readiness for NYSDOH/CLIA/CAP. Performs accreditation-related tasks. Performs Competencies assigned via CAP Competency Program, or others, and performs Proficiency Testing assigned by Supervisor. Participates in continuing education activities and maintains records to continue active ASCP accreditation
- Contributes to procedures and policies as needed and assists with writing and revisions by Supervisors.
- Complies with safety programs and procedures including blood borne pathogens, hazardous chemical waste disposal, and environmental services
- Bachelor's degree in clinical laboratory science or related science required, and minimum of 1-2 years of experience
- ASCP certification in clinical laboratory science
- Must hold a current or be immediately eligible for a New York State Clinical Laboratory Scientist license.
- Possess and maintain computer skills to include working knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and ability to learn other software as needed.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, required.
- Must be detail-oriented, a self-starter, possess critical thinking skills and be able to set priorities and function as part of a team as well as independently.
- Must possess ability to use good judgment, maintaining confidentiality at all times.
Kelly® Science & Clinical is your connection to premier scientific and clinical companies looking to hire talented people just like you. Every day, we match science professionals with dream jobs that fit their skills and interests—it’s the way we think job searching should be. Nearly 100 percent of our science recruiters have a professional background/education in science, so we know a thing or two about the science market and how to get you noticed.
At Kelly, we’re always thinking about what’s next and advising job seekers on new ways of working to reach their full potential. In fact, we’re a leading advocate for temporary/non-traditional workstyles, because we believe they allow flexibility and tremendous growth opportunities that enable a better way to work and live. Connecting great people with great companies is what we do best, and our employment opportunities span a wide variety of workstyles, skill levels, and industries around the world.
Kelly is an equal opportunity employer committed to employing a diverse workforce and providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process as required under its Employment Accommodation Policy. Kelly will work with applicants to meet accommodation needs that are made known to Kelly in advance.