As the leading independent modern media company, Company ignites conversations and influences culture. Across digital, podcasts, TV, streaming, live events, and print, we tell stories that affect our audience's daily lives and entertain as much as they inform.
Our portfolio features influential and respected editorial properties including Vox, New York Magazine, The Verge, The Cut, Eater, Vulture, The Strategist, Polygon, SB Nation, Intelligencer, Curbed, Grub Street and Recode. Off-platform, the Company Podcast Network offers one of the largest collections of popular podcasts, and Company Studios produces and distributes the award-winning nonfiction shows. Powered by innovative technology that scales quality, the Chorus publishing platform and Concert advertising marketplace answer the always-changing needs of modern audiences, creators and marketers.
Company has been named one of Fast Company’s “Most Innovative Companies in Media,” an Inc. “Company of the Year,” Digiday’s “Best Company for Parents,” and one of the Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality by the Human Rights Campaign.
About the role:
Company is looking for an experienced Product leader to work closely with our Executive, Editorial, Design, and Technology leadership to help our world-class Company Product team in build great products and drive key business outcomes across all of our digital platforms. This position will report to Company’s Chief Operations Officer.
What you'll do:
- Lead the product development function at Company, overseeing all product-related activity at the company and ensuring that the product development teams are organized, managed, informed, and resourced to effectively execute against our ambitious set of product priorities.
- Partner with the COO, who is responsible for setting the company product vision, to understand overarching company priorities and develop overall product strategy. Oversee product leads distilling this information into coordinated product strategy and actionable plans for their areas of responsibility.
- Partner with product leads to ensure strategic alignment in the roadmaps for each product line in the Company product portfolio (Consumer Revenue, Commerce, Advertising, Editorial Product, and the Chorus CMS), working alongside key technical and business stakeholders as needed for each product line.
- Communicate regularly with business unit leaders and other key business stakeholders to ensure overall product roadmaps, across product lines, align with their strategic imperatives.
- Partnering with the Head of Engineering and Head of Product Design, optimize how our Product Development teams work and collaborate with one another.
- Manage the budget for the product management function, while leading the process of developing a comprehensive budget for the product organization in collaboration with engineering and design leadership. Oversee resourcing decisions throughout the Product organization, and make and communicate prioritization and/or tradeoff decisions as needed.
- Own and manage all cross-product line strategic planning processes: goal setting, cross-team collaboration, all hands announcements, and communications, etc.
- Manage the flow of communication-related to Company’s products both within the product organization and outside of it, including communications to the product development teams and key external stakeholders or clients.
- Cultivate understanding, buy-in, and enthusiasm for our products amongst the people who are making them: our engineers, UX designers, and product managers. Inspire confidence amongst our development teams by communicating a compelling overall vision for the products they’re building, explaining the business case, and engaging with them openly, honestly, and frequently.
- Always have a pulse on the existing product development backlog and, working with design, engineering and product line leads, make big picture product development prioritization and tradeoff decisions that are in line with what our business, customers, and the market needs.
- Represent Product at Company both internally and externally, promoting the products - and the teams that build them - by advocating for them before Company’s executive team members, at industry marketing and showcase events, amongst the people in your professional network, etc.
- Develop a strong product management practice and lead a team of world-class product line leads and managers through mentorship, coaching, and day-to-day oversight.
- Contribute to company-wide initiatives as a member of Company’s senior leadership team
- Partner with the CTO, SVP of Design, and the COO on special organizational or operations initiatives and projects from time to time.
What you'll bring:
- A passion for building relationships, connecting people and inspiring collaboration and productivity
- A track record of hiring and leading productive product teams, including managing teams of product managers
- Experience working in highly cross-functional and matrixed organizations, including working with executives and senior leadership across multiple departments
- A passion for building a diverse, inclusive and healthy workplace that’s both supportive and challenging
- Experience managing teams of technical and non-technical stakeholders, all the while driving towards strong product and business outcomes
- An understanding of how to navigate the trade-offs necessary to ship quality products on predictable timelines
- A strong perspective on how to cultivate a product culture including the tools and process that help people do their best work while accomplishing business imperatives
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, specifically the ability to tell a product vision and strategy story to the people who make it and the people who use it
- Experience with successful development and growth of consumer products
- Capability to evaluate and manage integration of 3rd party vendor solutions
- A knowledge of the constantly evolving media industry and publishing landscape and a curiosity about where it’s headed
- Familiarity with one or more of the Company portfolio of editorial brands
- Understanding of the product domain common to media companies like content management systems, advertising technology, consumer revenue, etc
- Hands-on product marketing experience is a plus