The Nurse will be a member of a School Nurse team and will work closely with the nurses based at the Manhattan (East Side) and Lower and Middle School campuses in Brooklyn, under the direction of the Director of Health, Physical Education and Athletics. The Nurse will play an integral role in supporting an optimal physical, mental, emotional and social climate for all students and staff.
The School Nurse will be responsible for student health services by providing professional nursing services in accordance with the NYS Licensing Board and the NYS Nurse Practice Act, state regulations and school policy. The nurse will act as an advocate, liaison, and consultant on health-related issues for students, families and staff to promote an environment that is positive and student-centered.
We would need coverage on the weekend for SAT prep 7am to 5pm--this would be a per diem position for those interested.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Administer medications and treatments per physician orders
- Administer first aid and provide emergency & preventive care to students and staff. First point of contact for any accident/injury that occurs on campus.
- Prepare and maintain accurate cumulative health records for each student including NYS mandated immunization and communicable disease control requirements.
- Initiate and document health surveillance programs as needed and record, compile and report data as required by NYS and NYC Departments of Health.
- Identify and assess student health needs, implementing services and evaluating plans of care to boost student learning and achieve optimum safety.
- Coordinate and manage NYS mandated and annual screening programs.
- Identify and report building safety or environmental issues which may impact student or staff health to the Division Head.
- Participate as a member of The School’s Emergency Management, Health, Safety and Crisis Response Teams.
- Review Health Appraisal and Sports Clearance forms for student athletes prior to the start of each sport season.
- Provide Athletic Director/coaches with cleared-student lists and relevant medical information in a timely fashion.
- Act as liaison between home, school, and community providers for medical issues, discussing with administration when appropriate.
- Provide staff and community educational opportunities as needed.
- Must be a NYS registered professional nurse
- Current CPR certification required
- Minimum of 3 years of nursing experience in a school, pediatric or emergency room setting required.
- Must possess good judgement, tact and flexibility and must have the ability to multitask.
- Must maintain confidentiality at all times as this position is exposed to personal medical information.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Powerpoint) preferred.