For those who believe in the power of data to help write the next chapter in the history of health care, here's your opportunity. Advancement, an elite group of peers, variety of product lines, and rewards for delivering on our mission ensures you will always be challenged at UnitedHealth Group to do your life's best work.(sm)
The Senior Underwriting Consultant will analyze dental and vision benefit plan characteristics and assess risks as to frequency and potential severity of loss of clients. They will utilize underwriting criteria and policies to provide proper rating methodologies. They will also build and maintain models to assist in the economic analysis of market alternatives. The Underwriting Consultant is responsible for the evaluation and recommendation of alternative pricing options and plan design changes based on economic analysis and trends.
This role is part of National Accounts Specialty Benefits, Dental, Vision and Financial Protection (Life, Disability, Critical Illness, Accident and Hospital Indemnity) Underwriting, National Accounts.
This position is ideally located in Hartford, CT. Other locations will be considered for highly experienced or internal applicants.
You'll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within the U.S. as you take on some tough challenges.
- Prepare financial experience rating calculations and other ongoing financial reviews that directly aligns with client strategies
- Validate renewals and request for proposals for accuracy including utilization and experience reporting
- Conduct competitive analysis of all coverage lines and present financial and contractual findings to Senior and Executive levels
- Utilize Dental / Vision experience
- Promote the use of established underwriting criteria and policies to provide proper rating methodologies
- Evaluate and negotiate potential alternatives and options for NB and Renewal groups with internal and external customers
You'll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- 5+ years of experience in healthcare/dental underwriting for any variety of products: PPO, DHMO, self-funded, ASO / fully insured, or group. Ideally, extensive experience with dental and vision underwriting
- Intermediate level of proficiency with MS office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Post Graduate Degree in Math, Finance, Business or related degree
- Current or former UHG employee from an Underwriting function
- 3+ years of experience with Risk Management
- 2+ years of presentation experience
- 3+ years of data analysis and reporting experience
- Previous dental and/or vision underwriting experience
- Financial Protection underwriting experience
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing
Careers at UnitedHealthcare Employer & Individual. We all want to make a difference with the work we do. Sometimes we're presented with an opportunity to make a difference on a scale we couldn't imagine. Here, you get that opportunity every day. As a member of one of our elite teams, you'll provide the ideas and solutions that help nearly 25 million customers live healthier lives. You'll help write the next chapter in the history of health care. And you'll find a wealth of open doors and career paths that will take you as far as you want to go. Go further. This is your life's best work.(sm)
*All Telecommuters will be required to adhere to UnitedHealth Group's Telecommuter Policy
Job Keywords: Senior Underwriting Consultant, Specialty National Accounts, Group Retiree, Financial Modeling, Healthcare Underwriting, Risk Management, Hartford, CT, Connecticut, Telecommute, Telecommuter, Telecommuting, Remote, Work from home, Work at home