Scope of Responsibilities:
- Brand Stewardship – Serve as a passionate steward, advocate, and gatekeeper for the brand, and bring to life and protect its distinct and differentiated equity. Create and oversee the launch of a new Company Brand Mission, Positioning, and Brand Architecture, while ensuring governance and compliance with Brand Standards and Visual Identities in order to drive brand awareness and deepen engagement with Fans, Creators, and other key stakeholders. This brand work will be derived from a deep understanding of both long-standing Fans and newly acquired Fans and their motivations. This advocacy role mirrors the most critical responsibility of a more traditional (CPG) brand management leader—that is, protect, grow and enhance the Brand, but do so by staying true to the core equity, while building authentic and long-lasting relationships with the Fan community. Separately and connected, build a new Company Tabletop brand and business with the launch of Company’s first two role-playing games in 2021- Tales of Xadia (Dragon Prince) and Legends of Grayskull (He-Man/She-Ra).
- Brand Storytelling – Capturing the imagination of consumers, employees, B2B partners, and the investor community is important in any category. For this particular type of brand, it’s even more critical bringing to life the Fan experience and joy will be key. Working closely with the Brand Design team and external agency partners—this senior Marketer will lead the development of Company, platform, product, and target-specific Marketing campaigns (digital, PR, events, off-line), crafting data-informed, insight-based content and messaging that really connects with the target and strengthens their emotional link to Company. Work with Sales Marketing to develop and packaging compelling sponsorships and integrations within off-platform audience development levers (email, social).
- Segmentation/Targeting – Work with Research and Analytics team to identify and prioritize the highest potential consumers who offer the greatest monthly engagement and Customer Lifetime Value (LTV), in order to appropriately allocate Marketing resources and meet or exceed Company financial targets. Create clearly understood “Personas” that drive Company strategies, across platforms, and prioritize resource allocation.
- Fan Engagement/Acquisition – By effectively leveraging both the “art and science” of digital marketing, determine—and execute—the overall digital strategy for both the Company brand and key platforms, for Fans and Creators. For Company Wikis, the key opportunity is to drive engagement among the current, large installed audience (300MM monthly visitors) of Fans and Creators. For Tabletop, it will be a combination of both Fan engagement and acquisition - activating the 4MM monthly visitors into purchasers and subscribers as well as acquiring new users, purchasers, and subscribers. This work will include optimizing the Digital channel mix, including SEO/SEM, Email, Paid Social, Display, Retargeting, Affiliates, Influencers, Partnerships, Events - all designed to achieve organic and paid/profitable funnel conversion and ultimately visit retention, habit/loyalty and LTV objectives. This VP will develop and monitor performance of all Marketing activities against business goals and metrics, defining which channels and tactical programs drive the optimal ROI.
- Creator Experience – Creators are the life blood of key Company platforms. As such, a compelling Creator marketing plan must be developed, providing service, rewards, and incentives to drive their engagement and loyalty to Company. Beyond current wiki administration and edits, develop programs to drive deeper Creator engagement and contribution to fuel broader fan programs such as email segments, podcasts, social posts, etc.
- Fan Monetization – Primary responsibility for driving profitable, organic revenue growth by improving Company Tabletop conversion rates (purchasing/subscribing) and increasing Company wiki revenue per Fan (advertising sales revenue, Tabletop conversion, direct to consumer). Key to this role will be working with partners across platforms to craft a CRM strategy in order to increase the LTV of the Fan base by enhancing their Digital journey, driving awareness of key products/product launches, driving purchases/subscriptions/ repeat, and encouraging referrals to fellow Fans. This leader will work closely with colleagues to enhance the effectiveness of Marketing programs across all customer lifestages and across all online and offline customer touchpoints. Leverage testing protocols to optimize lifecycle Marketing communication to enhance loyalty and retention.
- Product Marketing – Collaborate closely with the product team to infuse product marketing into every aspect of the platform and roadmap, defining feature launch plans, brand integration onsite, smart use of house advertising, native placements, notifications and pushes, and the right form factors/messaging to driven recirculation and conversion.
- Budget & Attribution – Collaborate with Analytics and Finance teams to define traffic baselines, organic and paid growth and other revenue drivers to build quarterly and annual budgets. Collaborate with Product, Community and Content teams to drive prioritization against strongest growth drivers and ROI. Understand how to make the appropriate tradeoffs and adjustments when performance exceeds or falls short of expectations, or as market conditions warrant.
- Advise on M&A – The VP, Consumer Marketing will work with the CMO and Executive Team to evaluate potential acquisitions and in particular to assess growth, marketing, and talent opportunities.
- Culture, Coaching & Team Development – The VP, Consumer Marketing will be integral in building a vibrant and engaged Company corporate culture. “How” results are achieved will as important as “what” is achieved. This leader will develop and build a collaborative, cross-disciplinary and high-performing team while overseeing and improving organizational design, structure, priorities, management processes and reporting information systems. They will also be responsible for hiring, developing and promoting talent, as needed.
- Agency/Supplier – Seek, develop and manage external relationships, seeking “Best Practices,” as well as a value-added approach whereby external resources are viewed as “partners” vs. merely “vendors” or “suppliers” while leveraging economies of scale.
- Revenue and EBITDA
- Brand Health Metrics (Awareness, Consideration, Preference, Equity)
- Consumer Experience and NPS across Fan community
- Fan/Creator Engagement (stickiness- time spent/visit, habit - visits per month)
- Retention measures—Increased LTV, Reduced Churn, ARPPU, ARPU
- Number of new Fans acquired and CPA
- ROAS & ROI Across Marketing Investments
- Marketing ROI (by-program/channel)
- Employee Engagement Survey results
- 360-degree feedback from reports, internal teammates and external partners
The new “VP, Consumer Marketing” will report to the Chief Marketing Officer, Stephanie Fried. Stephanie joined Company in 2019 from Condé Nast, where she was EVP of Marketing, Research and Analytics, working across legacy brands, such as Wired, Vanity Fair and The New Yorker. Prior to Condé Nast, Stephanie was VP of Digital Insights and Marketing at Discovery Communications, VP of Research Insights and Analytics at Vevo, and Director of Digital research at NBC Universal. Stephanie earned her MBA from Columbia and a BA in History from the Honors College at the University of Michigan.
Staff & Resources:
The team currently includes 11 FTE’s across the following disciplines listed below. The Product Marketing function will be added in 2021. Additional headcount may be required to achieve the brand’s aggressive objectives, and this new VP, Marketing will make the case for adding talent, as needed. Current teams leads/directs:
- Director, Tabletop Brand Marketing
- Senior Director, Performance Marketing
- Director, SEO
- Director, Email
- Director, Social
Key Internal Operating Relationships:
- Chief Marketing Officer
- Sr. Director, Research and Analytics
- VP, Sales Marketing and Insights
- Director, Brand Design
- Director, Communications
- VP, Experiences & Custom Solutions
- VP, Community
- VP, Product
- VP, Company Productions
- VP, Company Tabletop
- VP, Corporate Development
- VP, Finance