Credit Risk 2nd Line of Defense (Corporate & Investment Banking – Commercial Real Estate) is responsible for partnering with the accountable business owners within 1st line of defense Commercial Real Estate Risk Management. The role is responsible for the remediation of the internal control environment within the business line and/or function area; as well as building and maintaining a strong internal controls capabilities for the first line of defense risk management and controls within Commercial Real Estate business line.
The candidate will provide review and challenge for all proposals from the Commercial Real Estate Finance Business. Commercial Real Estate Finance underwriting experience is a critical skillset for the role. Industry experience within Commercial Real Estate Finance sectors is required and an understanding of the key risk characteristic of major US Commercial Real Estate markets such as New York, Washington DC, Chicago, and key West coast markets. The preferred candidate will have a familiarity with Credit, Warehouse, and Acquisition facilities supporting Real Estate investment funds and REITS, combined with Direct Lending experience. An understanding of Real Estate Capital Market, including CMBS markets is a positive.
- Ensures and executes ongoing maintenance of controls, mitigation plans, testing, and oversight of Commercial Real Estate Finance credit risk assessments
- Influences others at an operational level regarding new concepts, best practices and approaches related to credit risk management, mitigation, identification and resolution.
- Leads special risk projects and/or programs, business continuity and other incident response and security related activities supporting Commercial Real Estate Finance industry best practices.
- Monitors assigned lending units compliance with credit policy and underwriting standards
- Oversees and ensures consistent quality control, accuracy, and compliance with internal policies and regulatory requirements for reporting processes
- Participates in the development of Commercial Real Estate Finance lending underwriting standards and guidelines as well as being responsible for the overall credit quality monitoring of portfolios, including the review of delinquencies, risk ratings, industries, etc.
- Partners with the accountable business owner for effective 1st line of defense Risk Management.
- Provides independent oversight of all aspects of credit quality of assigned portfolios, including the daily approval process of individual credits and the formal review process of the portfolio as a whole
- Provides robust review and challenge of all Credit Presentations
- Provides oversights on risk-management content/processes followed by the 2nd line of defense
- Develops robust reporting for line of business and team members to facilitate effective executive management reporting requirements.
- Acts as a subject matter expert (SME) while providing leadership, guidance, and mentorship.
At Company, we value and respect differences in our workforce and strive to increase the diversity of our teams. We encourage everyone to apply.
- At least 8 years within Risk Management, Credit Risk or Internal Audit space, or Financial Industry
- Commercial Real Estate underwriting experience required.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Business, Statistics, Finance, Economics or equivalent field
- Ability to analyze risk and design efficient control practices to effectively manage risk.
- Ability to interact with all levels of management, work independently and in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize activities, manage conflicts of interest, delegate, and meet deadlines.
- Advanced knowledge of the operational, accounting, credit, regulatory, market and technological risks within the various sectors of Commercial Real Estate and Financial Industry
- Demonstrated credit analysis and underwriting skills for understanding / tracking underlying transactions and counter party performance
- Ability to evaluate counter party risk exposures
- Demonstrated knowledge of credit policies and procedures, regulations and applicable law(s)
- Demonstrated track record interacting with the regulators, external and internal audit. Excellent written and verbal communication. Strong presentation skills. Superior project management skills