Reporting to the President & Chief Commercial Officer (CCO), the VP Retail is charged with bringing our Vision, Mission and Core Values to life in our owned retail stores. Obsessed with the consumer and customer service, the VP Retail will own a business unit P&L and lead the largest population and most distributed workforce in the company.
Although a channel focused DTC leader, the VP Retail leads with an omni mindset, working cross channel and function to optimize total company performance. She/he will lead and direct teams to deliver sales and margin contribution, scale growth year over year, ensuring a consistent and seamless customer experience.
Company was created to re-imagine sleep from the ground up, beginning with its obsessively engineered, outrageously comfortable mattress. All of Company’s sleep products — including its pillow, bedding, and furniture — are developed in-house by the company’s award-winning R&D team in San Francisco. Company was named one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies in the World and its eponymous mattress was crowned one of TIME Magazine's Best Inventions.
We are deeply committed to building a diverse and inclusive workforce so that we represent all those who dream big equally.
When you’re not catching zzz’s, this is what you’ll do
- Responsible for maintaining and growing Company’s North America retail revenue, margin and EBITDA. Owns the Retail P&L and drives target achievement through your own team and through x-functional partners. Deep focus, understanding and ownership of both top-line and bottom-line levers needed.
- Achieve or beat total company sales and adjusted EBITDA goals.
- Deliver or beat annual operating expense budget; identify and address operating efficiency opportunities.
- With Finance, develop accurate forecasts and plans: monthly, quarterly, annually.
- Align with E-comm, Wholesale, and Merchandising leaders on overarching omni strategy including pricing and promotions.
- Partners with President and Real Estate/Construction on store expansion road map.
- Sets and maintains an efficient labor and staffing model across the fleet; ensures competitive base and variable pay programming (with People/C&B).
- Expects and delivers exceptional customer service across all stores and team members.
- Lead and inspire field leadership and retail management to achieve results in the areas of sales, operations and people.
- Champions training curriculum and ensures that it is implemented; partners with L&D to assess and target training needs.
- Ensures field leadership is accountable for recruitment and retention of talent in existing stores; and actively participates in building new store teams with People team.
- Builds a strong talent bench both internally and externally for succession planning.
- Provides regular, consistent and effective coaching and mentoring to direct reports and drives a culture of performance and recognition.
- Sets the tone and leads field performance management processes (with People); sets development plans for direct reports.
- Directs and leads Retail HQ team: Ops, Store Openings, Communications, Business analysis.
- Directs team to implement and standardize SOPs for stores while ensuring company compliance.
- Member of the total company Leadership team and Commercial Leadership team.
- Participant in weekly, monthly, and quarterly business reviews.
- Brand ambassador representing our vision, mission and core values.
Our dream candidate is...
- Bachelor's degree
- 15 years minimum field leadership and HQ retail operations experience
- Owned P&L; YOY achievement of financial targets
- Has run store fleet in excess of 75-100 stores, with high growth/openings experience
- Experience in other channels of business or commercial functions a plus
- Data driven and analytical thinker
- Classically trained store leader with strong operations, sales and people management experience.
- Built great teams. Proven history of hiring and developing leaders, and holding people and teams accountable.
- Experience with a large, broadly distributed workforce and the critical community building activities required to sustain a team, brand ethos, and cultural values.
- Has been a part of a high performing executive leadership team.
- Entrepreneurial – brings a high level of self-directed energy, sense of urgency, and an unrelenting drive to succeed and win.
- Analytical and metric driven style – superior quantitative and analytical skills.
- A great story-teller and communicator; able to inspire teams and people at all levels and all functions. Makes complicated strategies understandable and executable for all.
- High EQ with strong self awareness; open to feedback on performance & management.
- Relationship builder who influences effectively and brings out the best in partners and team members.
- Execution and results oriented – track record of partnering and supporting the executive and cross functional teams to solve issues and hit their plan.
- Impeccable integrity and ethical standards.
- Decision-making as a primary vehicle versus debate.
- Navigates organizational systems, matrixed environments and relationships with ease and poise. Comfortable with ambiguity, not rigid.
- Owns mistakes and celebrates success, sharing credit and results with the team.
The syrup on your waffles
- Participation in our HQ bonus program for some splurging and equity so that you’re part of the Company family.
- Medical, vision, and dental insurance to help you with those coughs or cavities (too many waffles...)..
- Wellness programs like cash incentives for tracking sleep and fitness, credits for your favorite studios and in-office activities
- Unlimited vacation policy. If you need time off just take it; we trust you!
- A full gifted bed set when you join and product discounts for friends and family!